Monday 19 August 2013

Taqueria, Westbourne Grove

I visited Taqueria following its recent review in The Telegraph. I had been here many many years ago, however have forgotten what it was like, since I don't remember it I guess it wasn't much to write about?

My visit to Taqueria was with D & M. It may appear, given the photos that we over ordered, but since each dish was small, it was all about the sharing and picking at each one. It was also Taco Happy Hour (Monday - Thursday 5pm-7pm) so you've got to go Taco crazy. Since we ordered quite a lot of dishes here are my highlights and lowlights from it all (I'll try to be brief).

Highlights: Chorizo quesadilla melted cheese and chorizo is a perfect combo. Tinga taco good spicy kick with depth of flavour. Fried plantain, that was on top of the rice, just because I love fried plantain. Camarones al mojo de ajo; garlicky prawn taco, this was the best taco of the night, the prawns were cooked perfectly, altogether it was slightly spicy, rich, garlicky, naturally sweet of prawn, if you only try one taco here, make sure it's this one!! Lastly Churros con cajeta; churros with toffee sauce. The churros were crisp on the outside and soft in the middle. The toffee sauce is amazing! I even tried to eat the remaining sauce out of the pot **embarrassed blush**. That toffee sauce on top of ice cream would be divine!!  

Lowlights: Specials of prawn ceviche; there was too much lime juice (as you can see in the pic) almost soupy. This was too tangy amd limey and overpowers the taste of prawns, the totopos, like tortilla chips were great, you could really taste the corn. Pollo tostada tasted a little like chicken mayo sandwich filling on top of a crispy tortilla. Arroz a la Mexicana y platano frito; Mexican rice topped with fried plantain; the rice was a little too al dente for my liking.  

The best thing of the night was the prawn taco. If you only eat one thing here it has to be this!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment